What better way to celebrate Valentine's Day than with a little cheese....PIZZA! Heart shaped pizza nontheless. I know what you're thinking right now, "uhh this is a health blog, why is there pizza here?!" I have one word. Balance. Pizza is the ultimate comfort food and sometimes you just need some dang comfort food. Besides, if you deprive yourself of something long enough you end up binge eating it in a fit of "I don't give a flying cuss anymore!" only to regret it immediately after. Instead, have that pizza one night, just don't let one pizza party turn into a week long pizza Mardi Gras and you are on the right track. (and make that pizza at home!)
Now here's when I get a little cheesy on you.. make sure you use good ingredients. When you make this at home you can control what goes in this pizza party so make sure you use wholesome, organic ingredients without preservatives, unecessary loads of sugar, pesticides, antibiotics, growth hormones and get uncured pepperoni to save your insides from carcinogenic nitrates and nitrites.
Did I mention this pizza has a gluten free crust? But you would never know it! (Maybe I shouldn’t have even told you). Seriously though, I am never buying another store bought pizza crust again. That’s how delicious this crust is. For all you gluten eaters out there don’t be afraid to try it! I promise it won’t disappoint.
Doug the Pug approves
A Pizza My Heart
A fun Valentines Day inspired Pizza
For the crust
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/4 teaspoon course sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 large egg
Pizza Sauce (I used Eden Organic Pizza Pasta Sauce because it is my favorite! But you can use whatever pizza sauce you like- or make your own!)
Organic Shredded Mozzarella
Organic, uncured Applegate Pepperoni
*You will need a good, clean pair of kitchen scissors to cut the pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spread parchment paper over a baking pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sea salt, baking soda and garlic powder.
- Add the oil, egg and vinegar to the flour mixture, making sure to mix well.
- Roll the dough into a ball and flatten out on to your baking pan. Make sure to flatten it evenly then roughly shape into a heart.
- Sprinkle sea salt on crust then bake for 7 minutes.
- While the crust is baking cut those pepperonis into heart shapes
- After 7 minutes, take out the crust, spread on the pizza sauce and top with cheese and your heart pepperonis and then bake for an additional 8 minutes.
- Take out, let it cool for a minute or two then eat your heart out!