Before I became aware of the importance of ingredients and their impact on our bodies I used to love Reese's peanut butter anything. Cups, eggs, bunnies, trees, you name it! Who doesn't love peanut butter and chocolate? It's basically the dream team of taste fusions. But have you read the ingredient label on one anytime recently?
INGREDIENTS: PEANUTS; SUGAR; DEXTROSE; VEGETABLE OIL (COCOA BUTTER, PALM, SHEA, SUNFLOWER AND/OR SAFFLOWER OIL); CHOCOLATE; NONFAT MILK; LACTOSE (MILK); CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MILK FAT; SALT; SOY LECITHIN; PGPR, EMULSIFIER; TBHQ (PRESERVATIVE).
Uh, YUCK. Lets discuss.
Dextrose- aka white sugar which causes substantial fluctuations in blood sugar and can have negative health side effects like leading to diabetes over time.
Milk- most likely derived from sick, antibiotic and hormone filled, GMO fed cows.
PGPR- I have never even seen this on a label before and had to google it, bad sign! Polyglycerol polyricinoleate, a goopy yellowish liquid made from castor beans that reduces the viscosity of chocolate. Apparently big chocolate companies have started using this as a cheaper alternative to the more expensive (and most important aspect of Chocolate!) ingredient cocoa butter. UM. These companies do not have anything on their agenda but to make more money and they will do so at the expense of your health!
TBHQ- a preservative that is linked to colon cancer. Nice!
Now you see why I felt the need to recreate these? All you really need is a few real, recognizable ingredients. Dark chocolate, vanilla, salt, honey and peanut butter.
Besides, the Reese's eggs are old news and taste like fake old chocolate anyways. These are so good because they taste like the real thing! (because they are). I hope you enjoy and please leave me a comment if you make them!
Please note I only used these Wilton Carrots as decoration. I would never eat them, even though they are labeled as "edible". The ingredients are basically a bunch of carcinogenic colors and carcinogenic artificial sugar.
Healthy Reese's PB Eggs
Yields 25 – 30
Note: Make sure you get the plastic easter eggs that open horizontally (see pic) or they won't work. These are your egg molds
3/4 cup natural Peanut Butter
1/4 cup of Honey
1/2 cup of Nutiva Coconut Flour
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 bars of 70% (or higher) Dark Chocolate
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
A couple grinds of Himalayan Pink Salt
Plastic Easter Eggs
- Mix all ingredients together except for the chocolate & coconut oil
- Smash the peanut butter mixture into the plastic egg halves
- Spread out on a pan and freeze for at least an hour
- Melt the 2 chocolate bars with the coconut oil using the double boil method (see photos- place a big pot over the stove filed with water and bring the water to a boil. Place a smaller pot inside and put the chocolate in the smaller pot. Keep stirring until the chocolate and coconut oil is fully melted)
- Pull the frozen eggs out of the freezer & pop them out of the plastic eggs
- Pour melted chocolate over the PB eggs and immediately put back in the freezer
- Freeze for at least an hour and then try not to eat them all in one sitting :)
I photographed the whole process to make it a little easier to visualize the directions :)