Healthy Alfredo Sauce (with a secret ingredient!)
Healthy Alfredo?! Probably two words you never expected to see in the same sentence! I sure didn't. I got the idea of using cauliflower for the sauce from the lovely Detoxinista, but I changed up the recipe to fit my personal taste!
This is one of those recipes that would be great for kids or someone you know who claims they don't like vegetables, cause if you didn't tell them they would never know it contained cauliflower! I love using cauliflower because it goes undetected in this creamy bowl of goodness all while its sneaking in all the wonderful benefits of the veggie (fiber, vitamins, minerals, cancer fighting phytonutrients & detoxifying support). I used the sauce over gluten free noodles, but you could do so many things with this sauce! Add it on to pizza in place of marinara or pour it over quinoa and veggies for a warm, comforting alfredo quinoa bowl.
Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
Note: for a vegan version you can use coconut butter or even olive oil instead of butter. The coconut butter will give it more of that creamy buttery taste though
1 head of Cauliflower
8 chopped garlic cloves
1/2 white onion
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
4 Tbsp grass fed butter (I used Kerrygold)
Pink Salt - to taste
Black Pepper- to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Throw in the broken up cauliflower and heat until soft, 7-8 mins
- Meanwhile sautee the onion and garlic for a few mins, be careful not to burn it!
- Start making your pasta (or it's great on quinoa!) if you plan on eating it once the sauce is ready!
- Transfer the soft cauliflower to a high powered blender (I used a Vitamix) *If you have a smaller blender or not a high powered one you may need to blend the cauliflower in batches
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Serve over piping hot pasta or quinoa!