If you have been following along with me for a little while you know how much I talk about the importance of gut health and more specifically, how important collagen is for the gut. It contains special healing proteins called proteoglycans that help repair the gut and they are especially helpful for people with digestive disorders such as IBS and Crohn's. Collagen is also considered a "beauty food" because it helps repair and restore our own collagen in the body, which is what helps keep skin tight and elastic. It helps with joints too! (where my exercisers at!) I read the book Nourishing Broth recently and it talks all about the importance of collagen in our diets and I highly recommend it if you are at all interested in the subject!
It also provides a good boost of protein to your favorite foods because of its full amino acid profile, so I thought, why not add it to donuts to give it an added boost of protein and gut healing properties! It is very important you get collagen from a good source ie. grass fed, pasture raised and organic otherwise the collagen is from a sick, factory farmed animal and will not be a healthy source of collagen. I highly recommend Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides.
Yields enough 6 donuts
1 ¼ cup of almond flour
¼ tsp baking soda
3 scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
3 Tbsp maple syrup or coconut nectar
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 organic pasture raised eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Mix all dry ingredients first
- Add in all dry ingredients. Mix very thoroughly and mix for around 5 minutes. This will make them fluffy. If you have a mixer, use the mixer, but if you don’t you can hand mix it.
- Transfer the batter to your donut pan, making sure to evenly distribute between 6 donut molds. Do not overfill them, the batter does rise in the oven. I bought my donut pan here on Amazon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden.
- Ice with my chocolate cream cheeze icing! The icing is my cream cheeze icing with 3 tbsp cacao powder added. You can also get creative and add any toppings you'd like! I added some coconut shavings on a few.